Eight PGA Tour players—including world No. 2 Dustin Johnson—are seeking permission to compete at the Saudi International tournament, Golfweek has learned. The Tour previously said that it would deny waivers for its members to take part in the controversial event.
Tour players need to obtain a release to compete on other circuits. A Tour spokesperson confirmed to Golfweek that a decision on waiver applications is not required until 30 days before a tournament starts. The Saudi International is scheduled for February 3-6 at Royal Greens Golf and Country Club in King Abdullah Economic City, meaning players might not learn if they will be permitted to play until Tuesday, January 4.
PGA Tour members who choose to compete without obtaining permission are subject to disciplinary proceedings, most likely in the form of a fine.
“We have requested a release and don’t know when we’ll hear back, but I have heard verbally that the Tour is still taking everything under consideration,” said David Winkle, Johnson’s longtime agent.
The Saudi International is the latest front in a battle over the future of professional golf as the PGA and European tours try to fend off a proposed rival…
The best content delivered directly to your inbox.